HIGHLIGHTS OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Research, development and commercial launch of 3 new products for Corning Life Sciences; Synthemax™, Osteo Assay Surface, Ultra-Web®
- Founded RETT Corporation, wrote fundable SBIR grant and developed strategic business plan
- Industrialization of several technology platforms including Phage Display and Yeast Two-Hybrid.
- Managed several successful joint development collaborations including: Geron, Surmodics, Donaldson, and Human Genome Sciences
- 20 plus years of industrial research and development experience in a broad range of disciplines
- Passion for the start up phase of product and technology development and taking ideas from the bench to the boardroom
- Clearly communicates complex ideas to diverse audiences
- Partnership management style that creates and builds trust worthy, long standing, profitable business relationships
Development Cell Culture Manager, Corning Incorporated, Corning, NY (2005- 2010)
- Led a team of 18 biologists and material scientists; discovered and developed novel supports for mammalian cell culture. Launched 3 new products.
- Discovered a completely synthetic surface for the expansion and differentiation of human embryonic stem cells (Synthemax™, first in class). Performed product development for 3 different formats of the surface and transferred the process to manufacturing. 2010 product launch. Projected sales of $90-150MM in 2012.
- Industrialized the UltraWeb® nanofiber coated surface for more “In vivo-like” cell culture. Collaboration with Donaldson and Surmodics. Managed the cell biology support for manufacturing process development for 2 formats. Product launch - 2007. 2008 sales - more than $150,000.
- Developed more than 6 product specific cell based applications for the Osteo Assay surface. Managed cell culture support for manufacturing process development for two formats of the surface. Product launch in 2010
- Presented product tutorials both internally and externally for the Synthemax™ and Osteo Assay surfaces to educate customers and the CLS sales force to drive new product sales.
- Advised the Advanced Cell Culture products team as they explored a number of solutions for the culture of primary human hepatocytes to be used in toxicology testing.
Independent Consultant, Xcellerex, LLC, Marlborough, MA (2004-2005)
- Led a team of 6 biologists and engineers in the industrialization of novel process development concepts including HTS methods to optimize mammalian cell line expression of biologics.
- Evaluated existing cell lines and developed a scheme for the creation of Supercell™ a high expression cell line for process development and manufacturing.
Director of Research, RETT Corporation, Bellingham, MA (2003-2004)
- Founding member of biotech start-up, established all research business objects for the business
- Initiated and developed a strategic business plan and investor’s package
- Wrote an SBIR grant to fund proof of concept research to develop a novel cell free solution for toxicity testing (ADME Tox). Grant awarded.
Director of Research, Interomex Biopharmaceuticals, Vancouver, B.C. (2001-2003)
- Led a proteomics screening team of 13; scientists conducting primary and secondary protein and drug binding assays
- Automated a novel yeast two-hybrid screen for protein-protein interactions in lymphocytes.
Associate Director of Research, Dyax Corp., Cambridge, MA (2000-2001)
Senior Research Scientist, Dyax Corp., Cambridge, MA (1995-2000)
- Responsible for the identification and development of affinity ligands for the purification of therapeutic drug targets and proteins. Project manager on more than 5 collaborations. As Associate Director led a team of 8 scientists using phage display to develop peptide and antibody based therapeutics in collaboration with Human Genome Sciences.
- Developed novel and patented screening methodologies to allow for phage display libraries to be effectively used on whole cell (mammalian) targets and against highly defined targets in complex systems.
- Discovered therapeutically active antibodies and peptides for B lymphocyte stimulating factor (BLyS), the regulation of hypertension, osteoporosis, and HIV/AIDS transmission.
- Developed and patented methods for the selection of affinity matured peptides with therapeutically relevant binding characteristics.
Senior Research Scientist, Ariad Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge, MA (1992-1995)
- Performed proof of concept experiments in the development of the ARGENTTM cell signaling regulation technology.